Thoughts.

These are all my thoughts. I tend to analyze all aspects possible before posting it. As you can see, all the posts are written analytically solely based on my perspective. Anyhow, enjoy reading my blog and I thank you for reading. (Please ignore any grammatical errors and errors in sentence structure)

Tuesday, January 10

Quarter Life Crisis


Does it sound familiar to you guys? Perhaps it relates to the term Midlife crisis? It is actually very similar to midlife crisis, it just occurs at a different age. The term quarter life crisis (QLC) does not mean that it has to occur on the 25 years old and above. It is actually defined as insecurities, disappointments, loneliness and depression that hit twenty and thirty somethings shortly after they enter into the real world (quoted at http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/may/05/quarterlife-crisis-young-insecure-depressed).

I think I am actually experiencing QLC now. To further explained, I feel very disappointed at my job and lonely at the same time. I am not sure if I am doing what I want to achieve in life. I first joined this company because it is a multinational company and I can deal a wide range of securities products (equities, bonds, options, futures and you name it) but I don’t get to participate in the decision making process in which why the security is bought. My job is just to execute the transaction properly so that all interests/dividends/exchange rates and so on are in line and causes minimal NAV daily variance changes on the fund which I calculate.

Of course I have the option to leave, but there are several concerns. First being the two months of termination notice. When I start applying for another job now, I believe it is hard for employers to accept my two months termination period from current company. If there is a desired position available right now, and if the manager desperately needs someone to fill in the position, I won’t be qualified for it.

Another reason is that I am not sure if I should wait until I get job confirmation from my current company (which is the end of January) before pursuing other companies. This is my first job ever and they serve as a great reference for my next job. Also getting the confirmation improves my credibility. With that I can actually tell the recruiting manager that I am already capable of working in the field which I have little interests in and therefore more capable on the desired field (which is the position that I am going to apply for). Recruiting managers will also favor me better than any other fresh candidates as I apply for that job is not for the sake of just getting a steady paid job but to work in a field in which I am passionate.

It then posts another question as to whether should I work in current company for at least one year before leaving to get the necessary experience and hop into the my desired field as an experience hire? For your information, my current job background is investment field and my desired field is also in the investment field; being a financial analyst instead of a fund accountant. So I will be entitled to demand for a higher wage and get it as an experienced staff instead of a fresh graduate. But then, will my competency be challenged because my experience may not necessary be related to the job that I am going to apply?

Next, let’s say if I resign right now, would I be able to get my desired job out there? FYI, I am willing to compromise wage for knowledge to a certain extent. I am going to regret much if I going to stuck in a job that provides lesser knowledge than my current job. This fear just could not get out of me.

All of these are my concerns. In fact I had been thinking a lot lately but I am not able to conclude it. Some other minor things which make me feel attached to current company is the high wage and great working environment (great and awesome colleagues, free drinks (soft drinks, coffee, milo etc), a boss which appreciates my work and listen to my demand/concerns, ABSOLUTELY NO TRAFFIC JAM as I am working on a shift and it is really close to my house). I tried to seek answers by asking one of my human resource friend but apparently she is busy and yet to reply my message.  I believe she will be the key for this issue.

So I have justified all of my current concerns about my job. It is consistent with the phases of QLC stated in the link above. Phase 1: feeling locked in to a job/relationship, or both. “You can leave but you feel you can’t” is totally true. I don’t believe my qualification can’t get a job out there right now. I got my current job because of reasons mentioned above and also they are the first to offer me a job. But I just feel that I can’t get the right job out there.

I really hope to hop to Phase 2: “Phase 2 is typified by a growing sense that change is possible. “This mental and physical separation from previous commitments leads to all sorts of emotional upheavals. It allows exploration of new possibilities with a closer link to interests, preferences and sense of self.”

Phase 3 is the period of rebuilding a new life while phase 4 is cementing of fresh commitments that reflect the young person’s new interests, aspirations and values.

Yet, only going to Phase 1 you will be able to reach the second phase. Phase 1 is always the most challenging one.

No comments:

Post a Comment