I believe everyone has their own way to release/get away
from their disappointments. What is yours?
Today, I face one of my disappointments at work. To be
honest, I seldom have disappointments about my work other than its routine
nature.
I have this desire that I hope to be a mentor of a new
joiner in my team. I have spoken to my only senior in the team and she says why
not? She is absolutely fine with me guiding any new joiner that is going to
join our team in the foreseeable future.
Today the new joiners came to the production floor and
introduce themselves. My senior is not around and the other experienced fund
accountant (labeled as A) led the new joiner and have us all introduced
ourselves. “A” introduced him to his new mentor, which is another experienced
fund accountant (labeled as B) who has more experience (to be truth, I have the
least experience in the team because I just joined the firm for six months).
Well, she did not do it on purpose as she really did not know that I was hoping
to be a mentor, so things were cool.
Then I spoke to A after the new joiner left after
introduction, asking her if it was the manager who assigned B as his mentor.
She said no and it was her decision on that matter. So she then knows my
intention for asking. She said she thinks that I am not ready to guide the new
joiner. Instantly, I felt upset and offended at the same time. I wanted to tell
her that it is not what she thinks about me if I am ready to guide, it should
be me myself who think if I am ready.
To be honest, even though I am the newest in the team, but
it does not mean that I am not capable of calculating the daily net asset
values (NAV). I am able to justify all of the daily NAV impacts accurately.
Unfortunately, the B fund accountant is really the best
among us and he has not guided any new joiners. I am absolutely fine with him
guiding the new kid simply because he has no pupil in his 2 years tenure as a
fund accountant (well, unlike me, he never wanted one). Probably it is just
because the fact that I am not guiding the new kid is not within my
calculation. Again, it comes back to that, expectation. I was really excited
when I saw the new kid today, he is an Indian guy, and I greeted him with
thinking “Hey, you are going to be my new disciple”. Unfortunately, he will not
be one.
That’s the story. I felt really frustrated at the time the A
told me that I am not ready for it. I mean, how would she know that I am not
ready? Perhaps she thinks that the fact that I have just 6 months of
experience.
How did I handle the frustration? I kept it to myself. I was
angry, but I did not have the intentions to destroy anything. I channeled all
of the frustration within myself. Of course my facial features could not manage
to hide all of them; I remained silent for a while. Within my mind, there were
all these crazy thoughts that were looking for non-physical ways to hurt/annoy
the A. Things like for not responding to her questions, not going to volunteer
to help her out in the daily production, etc. You know, small little things
like that running throughout my mind.
Well, I don’t like myself being like that. I need to learn
to be able to embrace things better, especially all of the unwanted things that
are not in my calculation/expectation. When I looked back at this event which
happened just yesterday, I felt that my EQ level is not there. I am hoping to
increase it. The question is how? I think I need more moments like this and
write them down each time I faced them.
I have seen some other guys who really channel their angers
through destruction of items. I think they would feel better after destruction
of each item. I have never reached that kind of stage though. However I really
believe I won’t behave such a way.
I remember when I was in high school, like when I was 13 or
14, I used to tear, squeeze the unwanted papers with my fist, making them
looking like a throwing basketball and toss them into the dustbin. Then my best
friend Li Ching, who actually picked up the tossed paper from the bin and
re-fold them into 4 folds (half with horizontal line in the middle, and then
half again, making them small enough so that it could fit into the bin). She said
this is one of the good anger management exercises that we should practice. By
doing so, she believed that we would not channel our frustration towards the
item. I find what she said to be so significant that I have always folded them
into 4 folds before these papers enter into the bin since then. Now that when I
looked back, I felt that perhaps this led me to be less aggressive.
No comments:
Post a Comment