This suddenly came to my mind as my father asked a favor from me yesterday.
Situation: my father wants me to send him to airport in the next morning and then pick up my dog from the vet.
Scenario 1:
Father: Tin, tomorrow wake up earlier to send me to airport, then take the dog home from the vet and the payment has already been made.
Me: Yes.
(Hang up)
Scenario 2:
If it is Dan Stout, my host father in the United States would say it this way.
Dan: Hey, Justin, how are you doing?
Me: I am good. How are you?
Dan: I am great. I am just wondering if you are free tomorrow to help me with something?
Me: Yes of course.
Dan: I am wondering if you are able to give me a ride to the airport tomorrow morning. Amy is not free tomorrow as she has an appointment with Kylie’s personal doctor around the same time. I would really appreciate your help.
Me: Of course Dan, not a problem at all. What time would you need me to be at your house to pick you up?
Dan: It would be great if you could come 2 hours earlier around 8 am. Does that sound okay to you?
Me: Sure.
Dan: I also have another huge favor to ask from you if you are free after giving me a ride to the airport.
Me: Sure, what is it?
Dan: I have scheduled a pick up for my car with the vet at XXXX. I could not reschedule the pick up because this flight was too sudden, can you pick it up and send it to my home in Ankeny. Or you could keep it for a day if you would like, I will just need to arrange transportation with Amy to pick it up later or tomorrow. Hold on, you are allergy towards cat’s fur. Never mind then, I will find some other ways.
Me: No, no, it is not a problem. My immune system as gotten stronger since the last time we met. I can handle this. Is there anything else I could assist you with?
Dan: Nothing at the moment. Thank you for your help, I appreciate it.
Me: No problem, I will see you around 8 am Dan. Have a good day!
Dan: You too, thanks! See you tomorrow.
It sounded funny when I think about it. Even though my conversation with Dan is created through my imagination, but I doubt it could go anywhere further. I have created it based on my previous conversation with him.
There is nothing wrong about each conversation even though outsiders will prefer the latter. My conversation with Dad has been like that since I was born, so I really do not find anything wrong. Without foreign exposure, I would never thought that the same message could be brought out so differently.
Just something to share.
Ha! Ha! I think you are saying we are long winded...ha! ha!
ReplyDelete